Monday, June 14, 2010

More Than A Memory

DSC_3967

 

DSC_3972_b&w

 

DSC_3975

 

DSC_4185

 

DSC_4183

 

DSC_4076

 

DSC_4118

 

DSC_4136

 

DSC_4030

 

DSC_4143

 

DSC_4159

 

DSC_4144

Singapore Art Museum, 8 June 2010


This place holds quite a fair bit of childhood memories for me. I believe the first art exhibition I went for was at this museum. There was also a brilliant exhibition held there many years ago – Faberge (2001, I believe), an exhibition that I loved and even visited twice. In addition, I also remember the Rodin showcase there, though the year it was organised in evades me. Okay, I admit, I was, and remain rather artsy-fartsy.


All those memories belong to my past, my childhood. Yet, despite the decade (or so) that has elapsed since I last visited the museum, little has changed at the museum. The same spiral staircase that greeted visitors seeking to go to the second floor still remains (with the exception of a chandelier that used to occupy the void that the stairs encircle). The chapel still looks the same, and every inch of it still remind me of the moments that I had spent there as a child (hmm, this does make it seem as if I lived my childhood there, but no, that is not the case).


And now I add a new memory to the many others affiliated with this building – the first, and probably most successful class outing that I’ve attended. And also Joel’s birthday, which was on the very same day as the outing.


P.S. Thanks for the treat at Dôme, Nat.
And Joel, hope you had an enjoyable birthday, even if art museums aren’t really your fancy.