Sunday, July 31, 2011

Roof Garden Apartment


Image Credit: Tonkin Liu, Mike Tonkin & Architonic


Its been quite a while since I've posted anything directly related to architecture on my little page, and I suspect its because I've not seen anything that really catches my eye. I honestly do believe that what catches your eye first is most likely what you like.


What I find so particularly interesting is the way that this roof-top addition was handled so differently from other projects that I've seen. Firstly, I think that it's a brilliant idea to utilise roof space in such a manner, especially if the building's structural integrity isn't compromised. That being said, what's even more brilliant is the interesting use of what Architonic termed as "fragrant climbers" to add a bit of visual interest to the building. I doubt that added to the building's green credentials - a term so flippantly used today, but it definitely humanises the addition. The gleaming white pillars, and almost transparent glass gives this addition a somewhat Japanese-esque appearance, yet retaining its British identity.


Very nice indeed.


Oh yes, I love the brown leather on those Le Corbusier sofas.
The same however can't be said about the sofa's design.

One comment

Hi Sean, you comment whore.

I wna live there! On the top floor, with stairs in my house opening up to what would have been an attic but is a greenhouse instead.

And I would have a giant butterfly net to keep out scary shit from my house thanks.

by Dionne on 11:09 PM. #