Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Mission Hall





Image Credit: Adam Richards Architects & ArchDaily


What I find particularly interesting about British architecture is it's fondness for brickwork. I mean, this love for rust-iron blocks manifests itself in all forms of architecture, from that of the Baroque era to today's modern structures (e.g. the extension for the Tate Modern). Regardless, I suppose it's a particularly defining attribute of British design, and it works beautifully in this building, where the rigidity of those tiny bricks is juxtaposed beautifully against the form that it is used to form - an arguably postmodern curved block. Equally beautiful are the somewhat organic white spiral staircase, as well as the strange closet-cabinet divider in the last picture, that mirrors both the room's form as well as evokes the classical styles of cabinetry. Quite interesting indeed.


On a side note, I'm almost done with my papers