Saturday, March 03, 2012

La Strada's Carbonara

DSC_5375


I've found a carbonara that's better than Canale's, but it's double the price. Reading reviews online, and given it's price point, I had placed quite high hopes on the Carbonara at La Strada - and it was definitely not a disappointment. It's taste was remarkably nuanced and dare I say light, especially for a Carbonara - I believe La Strada's recipe followed the Italian version of the dish, rather than the more common American version. What I loved about La Strada's dish was that the pasta was handmade (or at least I think it is) - it wasn't all entirely regular in shape, and it was just al dente - perfectly cooked. The chewey bacon tossed inbetween the pasta along with the crispy slices of ham/bacon complemented the cheese (which wasn't overpowering) and truffle butter very nicely. The only pity: the portion was a tad small - just a small measure more would have been better, alternatively, I should have ordered it with a set lunch (starter and dessert). I'll most definitely treat myself to this whenever I have a carbonara craving, now that I've tasted and tried it.


It's better than Canale's - but then again, they are both under Les Amis.