Sunday, April 29, 2012

Saveur

DSC_5727e


DSC_5730e


DSC_5729e


I found out about Saveur via the Sunday Times, just towards the end of my block leave, and seeing the raving reviews that that particular food critic gave, I decided that I had to give the place a try - I mean, French (style/inspired) food for under $30 is really reasonable.


Going to the place wasn't exactly the most convenient thing to do - Saveur was lodged between City Hall and Bugis, in a quaint little row of shophouses at Purvis Street. I visted the place with the usual guys, and it was really enjoyable having that meal with them, right before I had to face my fate of being in the Infantry. That aside, the food was really quite good, not exactly very French, but tasty nevertheless. The portions were a tad bit small, especially for the crispy pork belly that I had, but the taste made up for it.


I'm done with my praises, now its time for a little bit of rambles about the place. It's quite small, and lunch crowd is definitely to be expected in such an area, so one of my gripe with the place is the lack of a proper waiting area, and staff to wait you in the restaurant (granted, the place is a little small). Another gripe of mine is the terrible lighting in the restaurant - I know it is supposed to be basic (a way to keep the cost low), but no food should be served under fluorescent overhead lighting, it simply does not do the food justice, and maars the dining experience.


Regardless, it was thoroughly enjoyable dining there, especially with friends. I highly recommend Saveur to anyone craving a good bite at affordable prices.