Sunday, May 13, 2012

Moment and Eternity

Image Credit: CityNomads


Entering the space where the exhibition was held at (the 3rd floor of Hermes at Liat Tower), I was rather surprised to find what I saw - the exhibition was literally the room itself. That wasn't something that I took notice of when I found out about the installation via the Straits Times (I was in camp though during that period of time, maybe that's why I didn't quite read it properly).


I still remember why I wanted to see Moment and Eternity the moment I found out about it - the rich patterns that evoked traditional Japanese imagery found on kimonos. The richness of colours was also another thing that I wanted to experience first hand. I enjoyed the former when I visited, but not so much of the latter - upon seeing the installation, I noticed that the prints (especially those on the floor) were worn away. That was when I realised that transience and the impact of our actions were themes that the artist wanted to convey. Quite impactful indeed, especially in today's interconnected world.


That being said, I was a little disappointed that the installation was not as immersive as I envisaged it to be; I thought that I would be literally be surrounded by a riot of colours and patterns - that wasn't the case because of the architecture of the space.

Moment and Eternity is an installation at Liat Tower's Hermes, and is available for viewing from 20 April through 3 June.