Friday, August 17, 2012

Humanae

humane


"Humanae [by Angelica Dass] is a chromatic inventory, a project that reflects on the colors beyond the borders of our codes by referencing the PANTONE� color scheme."


I'm not quite sure how I would like to interpret this particular project. On one hand, Ms Dass does a fantastic (and might I add, a rather thorough) job at highlighting that [skin] colour is nothing more than pigmentation, that diversity and variety are quintessential features to human existence. Yet I can't help but be slightly bothered about how skin colour is being tied to the Pantone colour scheme. It is almost dehumanising, especially when one notes that "[the] project's objective is to record and catalog all possible human skin tones", as if colour, and by extension the people that society have come to define them by can be treated as mere items that belong in a record.


And because I don't know what to make of this, I'll simply term it as remarkably interesting. But that doesn't do the work any justice. Hmm.